METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
Before the Methodist Episcopal Church was built, a group of ministers gathered at the court house in Salem and agreed to meet at homes in different parts of the county, to organize a preaching Mission.
Among these early ministers, were, J. W. Wescot, Thomas L. Middleton, William Findley, James B. Grey, Thomas Deeds, and William Layson, all Methodist Episcopal ministers.
Oscar Purvis helped carry brick for the new church, and William Tipton presented the bell and the first Bible to the Church.
Money being very scarce, Dr. J. J. Fyke made an agreement with Rev. Isaac Bundy was born in Raccoon Township, October 4, 1828, a member of a pioneer family. He enlisted in the Mexican and Civil Wars, was appointed chaplain at Camp Butler during the Civil War, and served faithfully until he became ill in October, 1864, then resigned and came home to spend the remainder of his life farming and preaching in various Methodist Episcopal Churches.
Among the charter members of Odin Methodist Church were, Mr. Ben Charles, George and Isaac Ross, and Noah Barr family, Dr. and Mrs. J. J. Fyke, the Arrowsmith family, Jane Tipton, William Tipton, and others.
Some of the early preachers were, Rev. Bascom, A. Ranson, Owen Wright, M. L. Cole, J. J. Littlet, J. N. Eason, J. M. Mulvaney, J. E. Nickerson, J. A. Leatherman, G. M. Weber, E. O. Gross, Paul Barnhart, Albert Harris, A. H. Pitken, and G. H. Gerkin, all before 1909.
The M. E. Church prospered and gained many members as the years passed, and enjoyed many strawberry festivals and ice cream suppers on the church lawn in the summer.
In the early years of the 1900’s the Anthem choir was organized and directed by Mrs. Charles E. Sloan. Mrs. Elton Atherton was the pianist.
Sunday school teachers were Mr. and Mrs. H. N. Woodward, Mrs. Etta Olinger, Miss Blanch Reeves, Mrs. Ray Somerville Chassels; N. P. Sloan was superintendent.
In 1926 the church building was condemned and torn down in the fall of the same year. The Sunday school and Ladies’ Aid still met in the personage and in the hall on North Main street for some months, then the membership decided to attend other churches in town. Some went to the Christian Church, some to the M. E. South and some to out of town churches.
The last pastor to serve the Church was Rev. Samuel Albrecht.
Roy Modlin tore down the church building with his team of horses, and sold the church bell to someone in Murphysboro.