Odin Police Department
By Mick Kelly
The minutes of the Board of Trustees for the Village of Odin lists the Town Marshalls and Police Chiefs from 1927 to present. Town Marshalls were chosen by ballot from trustees, some by open ballot, and some by secret ballot. It seems some Marshalls resigned or new Marshalls were hired when the trustees changed in 1929 two steel cages (cells) were purchased for $83.00 each and were used as jail cells to avoid the cost of transporting prisoners to Salem.
In 1930, the village trustees combined the office of Town Marshall & Street Commissioner. During the years of 1950 through 1954 there is no record of Odin having a Town Marshall. In 1955, the position of Town Marshall was put out for bids. The officer was to furnish his own vehicle marked with the word "Police" and was required to wear a uniform. The Village purchased a speed timer (early version of today’s radar gun)
From 1927 to 1960 the city employed twenty Town Marshalls, Deputy Marshalls or Speed Officers. From 1961 to 1970, eight different Marshalls were employed. Most served only one to two years. Merl (Mike) Marcum served from 1980 to 1986 then Michael Kelly was appointed in 1986 and continues to serve today.